One of the best things about having an outdoor kitchen is that you can replicate the camping experience whenever you want to without having to drive to the forest. Cooking on an open fire is great, but you do want to make sure that you have the proper cookware in order to get the tastiest food possible. The question then becomes which pans are the best for using on an open fire?
While there is some skill involved in cooking the perfect meal over an open fire, it all starts with having great pans. This is where the enjoyment of the process will set in, so make sure that you take some time and do your research prior to buying your equipment. Continue reading to learn more about the best pans that you can use on an open fire.
5 Best Pans You Can Use on an Open Fire
If you are ready to take cooking on an open fire to an entirely new level, it is time to consider the pans that you are using. To help you, we have reviewed some of the best pans available on the market today for use on an open fire. Decide which one of these will suit you the best, and then consider adding it to your array of outdoor kitchen equipment.
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Combo Cooker
The Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Combo Cooker is a two-piece set that will allow you to sauté, sear, fry, or bake your food with the best of them. Both pieces are already foundry seasoned, meaning that you can put them to use the very day that they arrive at your home in the mail.
Cast iron has long been considered the best material possible when cooking on an open fire. This is because cast iron is so durable and is naturally able to retain heat since it is so heavy. The investment that you make in cast iron is also wise because these pans are designed to last a long time. You can also cook virtually anything imaginable with them.
Since this two-piece set comes already pre-seasoned, you will find that the seasoning builds up over time as you use them. This also means that they become easier to clean after use over time. The manufacturer of this set, Lodge, has been in business since 1896. So, you know you are getting some quality cookware with your order.
While it is true that these pans are not non-stick, you will want to keep in mind that non-stick cookware is not always recommended for use on an open fire. Since non-stick pans can wear out quickly under the high temperature of an open fire, you will appreciate having a cast iron pan due to its durability and reliability.
Advantages of Cast Iron Cookware
Here are a few of the more notable advantages noted with this combo cooker set:
- Overall cooking performance – Many people find cooking on open fires to be a bit limiting because it can be difficult to cook the food evenly. That is not a concern with this pot and pan. No matter what you are cooking, you will find everything will cook evenly, and meat will be cooked throughout. This is a set that is really made for the open fire.
- Long-lasting – Made of cast iron, you can count on this pot and pan to last you for a long time. This is especially important when cooking over an open fire because of the heat involved. You will not have to worry about having to buy yet another set a year from now. This one can last you for years as long as you take care of it.
- Made in America – There is always something to be said for products made entirely in America. When you buy this set, you will be supporting local industry and jobs. That is something you can feel happy about with each meal that you cook over your open fire.
A Few Cast Iron Drawbacks
While there are not many weaknesses to note with this product, a couple that we would like to draw your attention to include:
- They are a bit heavy – There is no denying that this pot and pan set is a bit heavier than you might be used to. Made of cast iron, this is not the type of cookware that you will use to toss food theatrically in a competition. That being said, being heavy is what makes it so durable.
- This set will cost you a bit more – Cast iron cookware does tend to cost quite a bit more than average, but you do not want to let that turn you away. The extra expense is well worth it when you consider how long this will last, even with daily use over an open fire.
Of the pans on this list, these are probably the best for use on an open fire. They simply seem to check all of the boxes. Included with this set are one skillet and one pot.
Primus Stainless Steel Campfire Cookset
This Stainless Steel Campfire Cookset is made by Primus. It is a complete set that contains just about everything you could possibly need to effectively cook over an open fire. Following is a summary of what you will get in this set:
- A Nesting Cooking Set – This entire set is designed to stack one on top of the other for added convenience. You will get two pots, a pan, and a total of two lids. To make it easier to carry this set outside with you, there is a storage bag included for you.
- Two Separate Pots – Included with this set is a large stockpot that holds three liters. It is constructed with a large handle that can either fold down or be suspended when the pot is over the open fire. A smaller saucepan that holds 1.8 liters is also included. The handle on this one wraps around the pot when you go to store it. Alternatively, you can unfold it to have it act as a pot handle normally would.
- A Frying Pan – The frying pan included with this set also has a convenient design that allows for its handle to be folded away and locked into place. The bottom of the pan is made of aluminum, allowing for an even amount of heat to be distributed while cooking.
- All Constructed of Stainless Steel – The entire set is made with 18/8 corrosion-resistant stainless steel. This makes it easy to clean and durable.
If you have never cooked over an open fire with stainless steel, then you are in for a treat with this set. While it might not be as durable and heavy as cast iron, it has many advantages when it comes to cooking. Keep in mind that these will be a bit more difficult to clean than other types of pots and pans that you might be used to.
Yodo Anodized Aluminum Camping Cookware Set
Here is another great cookware set that works well on an open fire. This one is not made of either cast iron or stainless steel. The Yodo Anodized Aluminum Camping Cookware set is constructed from a material that allows for a rapid transfer of heat. This saves both time and fuel, which could be beneficial if you are running low on both!
If you frequently need to carry your pots and pans with you when cooking outside, this is a great set to consider. The entire set weighs just 2.9 pounds, so even the kids can carry these for you. To make it even better, the set nests together for even more compact storage. It even comes with a mesh carry bag that you can use to get everything where it needs to be.
If you are wondering what makes this set so special, it is the anodized aluminum. This is considered to be much safer and healthier for cooking when compared to Teflon and other types of non-stick coating components. If you take care of these properly, you will notice that they do not scratch, and they are easy to clean. This makes them more appealing than some other pans on this list.
You will get just about everything that you need to cook on an open fire with this set. That includes a total of four anodized aluminum pots and pans of different sizes. Thrown into the set is also a set of plastic bowls, plates, and utensils to serve your meal upon. Just remember not to put those over the fire, or they will melt.
The Yodo Anodized Aluminum Camping Cookware Set is one of the best for use on an open fire because of its versatility. While these pots and pans might not last as long as the cast iron variety, they are much easier to clean and considerably less expensive. It is also a complete set, so you do not have to worry about buying any other items to cook over an open fire.
Overmount Camp Dutch Oven
The Overmont Camp Dutch Oven will take you back in time to when just about all cooking was done over an open fire. This is a complete Dutch oven replicating the ones used decades ago. It has legs built into both the pot and the lid, so you do not have to worry about it tipping over on the open fire. As a bonus, you can also use the lid as a frying pan.
The Dutch oven is constructed from cast iron, and it is made to last forever. That speaks volumes given the high temperature that it is subject to when used over an open fire. You just need to care for it properly. If you do, it will look just as great ten years from now as the day you bought it.
Because a Dutch oven is designed to evenly distribute heat, you will find that you deep fry, sear, or bake your food. That makes this a versatile piece of equipment to use over an open fire. No matter what you are trying to cook, you can likely get it done in a Dutch oven.
Keep in mind that this Dutch oven is quite heavy, so you would not want to have to carry it very far. It is also quite expensive, but keep in mind that it should be the last one that you ever buy as long as you take care of it. The fact that you can use the lid as a frying pan is a nice bonus as well.
Lixada Camping Titanium Cookware Set
One final entry on our list is the Lixada Camping Titanium Cookware Set. This one is great for camping or when cooking over an open fire on your property. It is a three-piece set that includes a 750ml pot, 420ml cup, and a folding spork. If you get creative, there are quite a few tasty dishes that you can whip up with this one.
One of the best parts of this set is reflected in how light it is. You can easily carry the entire set along with you wherever you are going. It is also constructed from titanium, so it is corrosion-resistant and durable. You will also not notice any flavor or smell transferring to your food from this cookware set.
Both the pot and cup have a lid that is designed to prevent any significant heat loss. Both also have rounded edges, so it is simple to clean them. These edges also increase the heating efficiency, meaning you won’t have to sit around very long waiting for dinner.
Since cooking on an open fire usually means that you need to stow everything away when you are finished, this set wins on that account as well. All of the handles collapse, making them appear smaller than they are. They can fit easily in most outdoor storage compartments.
Now that you know more about the best pans that you can use on an open fire, it is time to start thinking about which ones you would like to add to your inventory. This is a great way to enjoy the pleasure of outdoor cooking and prepare a great meal for your friends and family at the same time.